SIX STEPS TO KEEPING YOUR DATA SAFE
When we lose precious information, whether to a system crash or to hackers, it can feel like we are losing parts of our lives. That's why keeping our data safe and sound is serious business. The following security tips from us are essential rules of thumb that will help keep your data safe from both an internal malfunction or an external invasion.
- Use proactive software protection. Anti-malware software is a basic requirement for initial protection on all computers.
- Viruses and spyware can creep into your computer and easily degrade performance and corrupt or even destroy data.
- Use a firewall. Firewalls assist in blocking dangerous programs, viruses or spyware before they infiltrate your system. Various software companies offer firewall protection, but hardware-based firewalls, like those frequently built into network routers, provide a better level of security.
- Be cautious of suspicious emails from unknown sources. Don’t open emails with attachments if you don’t know the sender.
- Steer clear of websites of ill repute. These are havens for malicious and annoying intruders like spyware.
- Keep your operating system updated. Repair the security holes that hackers love to exploit with the newest critical updates from Microsoft or Apple.